Tuesday, April 29, 2008

FORMER BRITISH PRIMINISTER THATCHER WANTED TO JOIN IN INDIAN CIVIL SERVICES

Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher wanted to join the erstwhile Indian Civil Service and serve the country.



Related Stories Bloomsbury authors revolt over Harry Potter
Bloomsbury authors revolt over Harry Potter
Russian billionaire to set up magazine for snobs
Russian billionaire to set up magazine for snobs
Come and join new global deal, Britain invites India
Ad LinksIndia News Paper

Tribune

Online Newspaper

Thatcher, also known as the "Iron Lady", told an interviewer on Yorkshire Television in 1985: "I had an ambition as a child. I told you all the missionaries used to come and people used to come from India. I had an ambition."

"I wanted to be part of the Indian Civil Service, because our Civil Service was the best in the world," newly released papers by the Margaret Thatcher Foundation quoted her as saying.

She added: "Now, we were brought up that Britain was the best in the world because she had standards of honesty and integrity and law. The best in the world and the Indian Civil Service was part of our Civil Service and it was the best in the world and it was to do things for the Indians and it was to help them."

"I said: 'I think, Daddy, if I manage to get to university if, it was a fantastic privilege in those days, a fantastic privilege If I manage to get to university, I think I'd like to go in the Indian Civil Service, because I will be able to do something for them!"

"I remember my father saying, this was before the World War I, do not think there will be one by the time you are grown up."

Thatcher, however, did not join the ICS, but went on to become the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1979 to 1990.

No comments: