Monday, April 28, 2008

FIFTY,NOT OUT


Buoyancy is an important term in her resume. Every time she slips into oblivion, she resurfaces with a vengeance. With half-a-dozen Tamil films taking off this year, actor Sneha is over the moon.

“I pinch myself in disbelief. Autograph 2 will be my 50th film. I can’t imagine, I’ve done 50 films in eight years,” Sneha says with candour.

Her natural camaraderie spilling over the telephone, she continues, “I’ve never planned out my career. There have been ups and downs. But things just happened. In 2006 for instance, I did a number of Telugu films, but I was hardly seen on the Tamil screen except for Pudhupettai. This year, I have six films in Tamil and only two in Telugu. It’s not intentional. Choice of films depends on the script and the character I play. In fact, I don’t even count the number of films I’m doing. Only when a fan pointed out, I jogged my memory and realised I’m into my 50th film. I was a Plus Two student when the offer to do a Malayalam film came. Looking back, I feel happy.”

One of the few stars who had held on to her fortress without having to drop a few clothes, Sneha scotches rumours about an image makeover in her forthcoming films. So what’s standing between her and glamour? “Well, nothing. I think the glamour quotient was always there in my song sequences. Frankly, I don’t understand this hype about the word ‘glamour’. It has always been part of the commercial package. To me, skimpy is not glamour. You can scorch the screen even without gyrating in wet clothes,” says the actor, whose appeal lies in her haven’t-done-it-face.

Good girl image


So is she caught in this “good-girl” image trap? “People love to see me in such roles. And it’s worked for me in multiplexes and in musty cinema halls alike. It thrills me when directors approach me saying, ‘Sneha, this role is made for you.’ I’ve taken an occasional detour to explore other facets of my histrionics in films such as Pallikoodam and Pirivom Sandhipom and come up trumps. But contrary to the real Sneha, who is bubbly and talkative, the reel Sneha is usually reticent. And I still have fun playing these serious characters!”

After a ponderous pause, Sneha, who plays a cameo in the much-hyped Kuselan, adds, “Luckily, this year is about variety. You’ll see me playing well-nuanced roles in films such as Achamundu Achamundu (with Prasanna), Silambattam (With Simbu), Aruvadai (with Mammootty) and Pandi (With Raghava Lawrence). Today, directors don’t shy away from experiments. So it’s the right time for actors to challenge stereotypes.”

Talk about the burgeoning band of wannashines in the industry giving established stars like her sleepless nights, and Sneha retorts, “Raising the bar for myself from time to time has been my prerogative. I’ve not mused that much about competition. Besides, I think there’s space for everyone.”

Having courted flak and fame in equal measure over the years, the actor isn’t the type to sidestep sticky issues. “I entered tinseldom in my teens. It has taught me a lot. Now, when the gossip mill spins, I just think my job is to act, not react. If you do two films with Cheran, the rumours begin to roll! How can someone be linked to a good friend! Cheran and I share a great rapport. In fact, when he told me he’s planning Autograph 2, I immediately told him I’m there. It needs a strong mind and a stronger heart to ignore gossip which is part of the showbiz package. Filmdom hardens you. It teaches you to handle situations. It makes you learn from your mistakes. I hail from a conservative background. Thankfully, my family has been very supportive through those emotionally trying times.”



SNEHA SPEAKS


FIT-TING REPLY It’s not easy being in showbiz. It calls for plenty of sacrifices. Imagine a junkie like me controlling hunger pangs! I love junk food. But now, it’s a “sure no”. I also work-out regularly and practise yoga. It helps keep the mind and body in good form!

SISTER ACT My sister is my best friend. We share our secrets, our joys and sorrows. It’s nice when someone from your family is your best friend!

WHAT’S COOKING? I like learning new things. Right now, cooking tops the agenda. I’m in touch with my other passion too — painting

No comments: